Monday, April 16, 2018

Bullet D


Experience is Bullet Dematera’s greatest Teacher

By Hannah Jo Uy

Most people ask “why,” yet a few souls, even in the most damning of circumstances, stand proud and ask “why not?” Bullet Dematera is one such person. What Dematera lacks in formal education, he more than makes up for with his resilience, tenacity, and willingness to learn.

“Even when I was in elementary, I was already drawing,” Dematera said recalling his early illustrations of rustic provincial life in Bulacan. He was influenced by his older brother, who also drew. “I started thinking, I could do that, too,” he says.

Though he showed promise at a young age, financial setbacks forced him to stop school and work to help provide for his family. Even in the absence of a formal education, however, the desire flickered like an ember against the harsh winds. Meeting with distinguished realist painters reignited this passion and nourished it into a flame.

At 20, Dematera got the opportunity to work as a studio assistant for artist Rolando “Olan” Ventura. It was a pivotal moment for Dematera who, without knowing it, had embarked on a painting apprenticeship. “I learned how to use graphite and the right combination of pencils (from Kuya Olan),” he said. “I stayed with him for about three years. After three years, I was sent to his brother, Ronaldo, where I was an apprentice for almost 10 years. I learned how to use acrylic, oil, and the right combination of color.”

Dematera soaked up the information Ventura’s shared and vigorously applied himself to his craft. “I have the highest respect and deepest gratitude for the two brothers, because it is through them I was able to refine my knowledge and improve my skills in painting, even without a formal education. It was from Kuya Onat that I learned how to deal with people, present myself, and talk in a professional manner. He would always remind me that he didn’t consider me as someone less. He would be teaching me, little by little, and I wouldn’t even know it. One of the things he said, which I will never forget, is ‘If you make a mistake, use it at as a lesson so you can learn faster and be better.’ He would remind me that for everything that happened, God has a purpose. Even if we don’t know what the reason is, a day will come where everything will work out.”

Dematera worked with graphite, oil, and acrylic, developing his own brand of hyperrealism by studying books and sources from the Internet. He’s meeting with Dr. Joel Mendez further moved him toward the creative life as Mendez became a mentor, encouraging him to paint full time: “He was the one who helped me and placed trust in me.” By 2016, Dematera joined his first three man show under Big and Small Gallery and earlier this year, he had a back-to-back exhibit at the Art Center in SM Megamall. He is now embarking on his first solo show, set for March.

When asked what inspires him, Dematera points to his always colorful and often difficult life. “Everything I went through, I used it as my inspiration and lesson to reach my goals,” he said. “I came from a poor family. I only finished elementary because I had to start working to help my parents.” During this time, he would take all odd jobs, including those in construction or in factories. While he was in school, he was also victim of bullying owing to his cleft lip and cleft palate. “I used to be ashamed of it,” he said. “But I realized now it’s nothing to be ashamed of. I realized as long as you don’t step over anyone, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I’m just thankful for my family and friends, for their support, and that I had the strength to regain my self-confidence.”

This outlook greatly moved Dematera’s work towards aesthetics that reveal an adept sense of composition and technical skill through the depiction of various animals juxtaposed with human elements. His thoughtful reflections, adds to the view point and style he continues to cultivate.

“I want to communicate to the viewers that everything God created is valuable, and thus we should take care of it, big and small,” he said. In addition to the environmental facet of his work, there is also a psychological component driven by his reflections on human behavior. Dematera instills his subjects with animal features not only to underline the “one-ness” living species share but also to represent the prima behaviors and characteristics parallel to those exhibited by human beings.

Indeed, Dematera’s spirit, imagination, and unparalleled work ethic create an inspiring formula that drives him to overcome personal, professional, and artistic hurdles. His enthusiasm is infectious, as he fights for his fundamental right to create.

No comments: